Magical Dancing Wallabies

This blog will range topics wildly based on my personal interests. The constants will be politics, religion, and other social commentary. Due to this personal nature that might not be of interest to many other people, this log is not advertised openly.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Cats

Well, today I'm not going to rant**. I'm going to shift gears.

For the past year or so, I've been considering getting myself a pet. More precisely, a cat. I'm not sure they are really pets. It's more like having a small, furry, cute, and purring roommate who relies on you, but is not going to be a slave to your whims.

I started out this voyage without much information, just enjoying some time with the cats my friends and family have owned. More recently, when things got serious, I purchased a few books and have learned a great deal.

One thing I've learned is that I should act on feelings and morals, rather than just 'espouse' them. For those reading at home, espousing means to think its a neat idea, but to be too lazy to actually do it.

Okay, so there is a bit of quasi-ranting!

Anyhow, with one book I've learned a great deal about cats, and after seeing a pair of kittens at the humane society, I applied for adoption. I'll find out in about 90 minutes if I'm approved or not. I can't imagine why I wouldn't be, but here's hoping it all goes well!

As one might expect, I've started preparing my home. Lots of cleaning had to be done, and more remains. It's time to get socket covers, things to keep cabinets shut, and make sure all things at low levels are safe for cat play. Since they are about two months old, everything will look like a toy to them.

The basics were purchased last night. A litter box, a litter scooper, two carriers, four porcelain bowls for food/water (many cats are allergic to plastic), a laser pointer (cats reportedly love these), a bit of catnip (which may or may not have the desired attraction until they are 5-6 months old), and a scratching post.

Tonight I am going to get some litter, some science diet food, and a pair of collars that are the right size for cats. I also want another two small litter boxes and another litter scooper.

As you can tell, I take this act of adoption seriously. I'm the minority that I hope becomes the majority someday soon. We value life. Not just human life, but all life. We aren't irresonsible stewards of the world that we are the masters of. Unfortunately the majority is reckless, selfish, and lazy.

Yes, more ranting!

What truly scares me and amuses others is that I've put more thought and care into adopting cats than many people do with children. I'm even looking at cat insurance, and have made sure that the life insurance I carry provides enough money to care for them for life. These are acts that some consider bizarre but I consider not only normal, but mandatory when you are taking on the awesome responsibility of a parent or owner. This commitment is different in many ways from raising a child, but it is not a short one. Cats have the potential to live for twenty years or longer. The amount of attention they need at any time varies, but it is unreasonable to expect to give them less than a half hour of undivided attention in exercise/play every day, in addition to the other times you spend together (petting, grooming, brushing teeth, clipping nails), maintaining their litter box(es), taking them to the vet, and feeding them.

You should stay abreast of developments in veterinary care as well, as well as observe your cat very carefully to ensure proper health and record all changes, no matter how small. This is not a small commitment.

Would some consider me crazy to consider all this in advance? Probably. Would I consider them foolish for not thinking of all of these things? Absolutely.

No matter one's religion or political affiliation, as humans we have the responsibility to take care of the planet that we've damaged. Our rampant over-population and reckless handling of wildlife puts us in a deep moral debt to every other species on the planet. It is time we start acting in an ethical manner, rather than consuming all we encounter and transforming most of the world into a condo.

Humanity has a lot to learn.

** I'm actually going to rant just about as much as normal.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Vemrion said...

Hey dude.

Hope things are going well with the kittens! They are so unbelievably cute at that stage.

I remember when my roommate got a kitten for our dorm back in college. It was so weird to be able to hold Zulu in the palm of my hand one day, but a few weeks later he was a full grown cat! So enjoy the kitten stage -- it doesn't last long.

I'm tempted to get a cat or two myself. Must restrain self... don't need another mouth to feed! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home